Weekend spoiled by Caps, Wild

Three games under new interim head coach Misko Antisin and the Silverbacks have yet to score a win

Tough to stomach: Carson Bolduc and goaltender Trevin Kozlowski react after losing 5-4 in double overtime to Wenatchee in a game at the Shaw Centre on Sunday.

Three games under new interim head coach Misko Antisin and the Silverbacks have yet  to score a win.

In Antisin’s first game as the bench boss, the club travelled to the Lower Mainland to face the Eagles.

The Thursday night game in Surrey was one the club would like to forget as they were held off the score sheet in the 5-0 loss.

Over the weekend, the ’Backs returned home for Parent’s Weekend and a double header.

Kicking off the weekend, the Silverbacks hosted Cowichan Valley on Saturday evening, sporting RCMP-themed jerseys in support of the Salmon Arm detachment.

The Caps got on the board first when their top scorer Ayden MacDonald beat Trevin Kozlowski. Justin Wilson answered back quickly, with his fourth of the campaign, to restore parity between both clubs.

Both sides traded goals later on in the first, but the Caps got one more, taking a 3-2 lead into the second frame. The visitors scored two more unanswered goals on the evening in the second and third to spoil Parent’s Night at the Shaw Centre.

Less than 24 hours after the 5-2 defeat to the Caps, the

’Backs took to the ice in a matinee against Wenatchee, one of the league’s top sides.

Just as in their last meeting, nine goals were scored. However, the ’Backs managed to beat Anthony Yamnitsky this time.

The home side carried a one goal lead into the second frame, courtesy of Landon Fuller’s first as a Silverback. Salmon Arm struggled to gain zone time, as Wenatchee stood up to the ’Backs at the blueline throughout the first 20 minutes, and limited them to four shots.

Despite the lack of zone time, the Silverbacks capitalized on the chances they got as Jared Turcotte scored on a rebound.

Both sides traded goals after Turcotte’s marker, giving the home side a 3-2 advantage heading into the third. Wenatchee turned the game on its head in a matter of 23 seconds when Chris Jones and Jimmy O’Brien scored in quick succession to swing the lead in their favour.

The Silverbacks answered back positively after the Wild’s fourth, by creating zone time and putting the visitors on their heels. The offensive pressure paid off with two and a half minutes left in regulation. Carson Bolduc managed to find a rebound in a crowd around the Wild crease, and beat Yamnitsky to level the score and force overtime. A hotly contested first period of overtime was highlighted by a pair of saves by each club’s netminders.

The Silverbacks sit in the basement of the Interior Division, just two points behind West Kelowna, who has four games in hand on Salmon Arm. A road trip awaits the Silverbacks this weekend as they will face off against Merritt on Friday before heading up to Prince George on Saturday.



Salmon Arm Observer

Just Posted

Most Read