Pinns lose heartbreaker in provincial championship match

The Penticton Pinnacles FC 15U boys lost in the second overtime period of BC finals

An incredible season for the Penticton Pinnacles FC Boys 15U soccer team had a bittersweet ending Sunday.

The club, which went undefeated after losing its first three games of the season, lost 1-0 to Wesburn Galaxy of West Burnaby with just five minutes to play in the second overtime period at the Youth Provincial Championships in Burnaby.

“There was not a player who did not give their all this weekend and battled to comeback, especially considering eight of the 18 guys are a year younger. We were the only team at provincials with 2004s playing against 2003s,” said Pinnacles coach Steve Grant. “This is a group of guys who play for each other and are a true team. It was almost a dream season to go from 0-3 to start the season, win the league, win playdowns, and go to the provincials final.

“I am very proud of their accomplishments and I hope they are too.”

In the final game Penticton keeper Jade Musgrave made two “huge” saves in the final, according to the coach, and Jaras Grant had two opportunities to score, forcing the Galaxy netminder to come up big on both occasions.

“Wesburn was quite physical and earned three yellows in the game. In the end we were too tired and the home team won,” said Grant.

Penticton earned the right to play in the final of the eight-team tournament, which began Thursday, with a record of two wins and a tie in the B Group.

The Galaxy had the same record on the A side.

Related: Pinns win nail biter at provincials

The Pinnacles opened the series with 3-2 penalty kick win over Vernon United. The following day they had to settle for a 2-2 draw with the Nelson Selects. While the team had possession for most of the game, they were unable to get the needed shots on net.

Chris MacDonald, on a penalty kick, and Mark Peron scored the goals for the Pinns to put them in front at one stage. However, the Selects tied the game on a long shot.

That set the stage for the all-important semifinal against Gorge/Lakehill of Victoria Saturday.

Victoria scored first off a long free kick that went over the keeper’s head 10 minutes into the first half and 15 minutes later Jaras Grant was fouled and MacDonald made no mistake on the penalty kick.

Related: Young soccer star off to Holland

In the final 10 minutes of the game, the Victoria keeper came out to challenge on a long, high bouncing shot and Grant jumped in front and headed it over the netminder for the winner.

The Pinnacles had strong defensive play from Brett Gauchie, Doug Grondzil, Anders Say, Malachi Konyenberg and Koen Dyck throughout the championship round.

Four members of the team, Connor Moore, MacDonald, Gautschi and Peron, will now go on to represent this region in the upcoming B.C. Summer Games in Cowichan.

Just Posted

Most Read