The top-ranked women’s volleyball team in the nation continued to roll along, highlighting the local action in the PacWest collegiate sports conference on the weekend.
• The University of the Fraser Valley volleyball women are the reigning CCAA national champions, and they boosted their PacWest-leading record to 10-0, crushing the third-place Capilano Blues in three sets on Friday and in four on Saturday.
• The UFV men’s squad (4-6) split their two games vs. Capilano, the nation’s No. 5-ranked squad, winning in three sets on Friday but falling in five in the rematch.
• The Columbia Bible College men’s volleyballers (5-5), ranked No. 13 in the CCAA, also managed a weekend split. Facing the No. 9 Douglas Royals, the Bearcats won Friday’s opener but dropped Saturday’s game – both in four sets.
• Injuries have hampered the CBC women’s volleyball team early in the season, but they mustered their first win of the campaign vs. Douglas to improve to 1-9. They very nearly pulled off a victory on Friday before succumbing in five sets, but bounced back with a three-set win the next day.
• The Bearcats men’s basketball team (1-4) dropped a pair of games on the road, falling 89-82 to Douglas on Thursday despite 31 points from Marcio Juk and 119-71 to Langara on Saturday.
• The CBC women’s hoops squad (0-5) is still seeking its first win after losing to Douglas (66-45) and Langara (52-46).
BUSY WEEKEND COMING UP
All six local PacWest programs play at home this week.
UFV’s volleyball teams host the College of the Rockies Avalanche on Thursday and Friday (women 6 p.m., men 8 p.m. both nights). The Avalanche then head across town to CBC to face the Bearcats on Saturday (women 6 p.m., men 8 p.m.) and Sunday (women 11 a.m., men 1 p.m.).
The Bearcats basketball teams play their only home games of the semester on Friday vs. Kwantlen (women 6 p.m., men 8 p.m.).