The Fury’s Raymond Sam outpaces a Prospect Lake defender during the teams’ 4-4 tie at the Sherman Road turf last Friday night. (Kevin Rothbauer/Citizen)

Cowichan Fury play to another draw

Quw'utsun edged by Lakehill in Victoria

The Cowichan Farm Store Fury remain undefeated after playing to yet another tie, running their record to three wins and three draws so far in the Vancouver Island Soccer League Div. 3 season.

The Fury’s latest deadlock ended with a 4-4 score against the Prospect Lake Lakers, who sit first in the division, one spot ahead of Cowichan.

It wasn’t a pleasant Saturday night at the Sherman Road turf, as rain poured down, but the Fury got off to a quick start, pinning Prospect back in their own end and taking a 2-0 lead on goals by Raymond Sam at five minutes and Alex Smith at 10 minutes.

Head coach Will Chaster later pondered whether or not that was a good thing, however.

“Two early goals may have raised our expectation too high though,” he said. “And shortly after the second goal, Prospect Lake found a footing in the game. After that it was a pretty even match until the end.”

Prospect scored twice before the first half ended, but Patrick Foley restored the Cowichan lead in the 56th minute. Back-to-back goals from former Div. 1 scoring star Jordie Hughes put Prospect on top briefly before Evan Tolfo evened things up for good in the last 10 minutes.

“Holding the lead is not something we have mastered yet, as we let that lead become a deficit soon after,” Chaster acknowledged. “These are the moments in the game that show the character of a team. We stepped it up and drew level to finish out the game.”

The Fury are off this weekend, then return to action on Nov. 28 when they play host to Gorge Us Guys. Fans are being reminded once again to limit their numbers at the pitch due to COVID-19 concerns.

Also in Div. 3, Quw’utsun FC were edged 4-3 by Lakehill Hooligans in a thriller at Braefoot Park on Sunday. Lakehill scored the lone goal of the first half, then went up 2-0 early in the second before Devin Jack got Quw’utsun on the board in the 58th minute. Shane Brown scored for Quw’utsun to make it 2-2, then Lakehill went up one. Johnny Williams drew Quw’utsun even again in the 85th minute, but Lakehill’s Sam Glowicki completed his hat trick with the winning goal a minute later.

Quw’utsun is also off this weekend, and will host Castaways FC at Si’em Lelum field on Nov. 29.

Cowichan Valley Citizen

Just Posted

Most Read