• The Greater Vancouver Motorsports Pioneer Society inducts a trio of local residents. Larry Olson and Leslie and Kevin Skinner are honoured for their more than 40 years of participation in sports car racing with the Sports Car Club of B.C.
• Jennifer Wakefield is named head coach of Team Canada West for the 2012 U19 world ringette championships.
• At the Pan American Games in Mexico, Dorothy Ludwig and Christine Girard win gold medals, respectively, in their events.
Ludwig in air pistol shooting and Girard in weightlifting.
Also at the Games, Hawley Bennett-Awad helps Canada’s eventing team win the silver medal, while Scott Richmond helped Canada win the gold medal in baseball.
• The Langley Field Lacrosse Association receives the Leon Hall Merit Award as the field lacrosse association of the year. The association’s president, Jason Kump, and Langley Minor Lacrosse Association team manager liaison/co-ordinator Laurie Pearson each receive the President’s Award from the B.C. Lacrosse Association.
• Former D.W. Poppy graduate and Langley Minor Football Association player Neil McKinlay, comes out retirement to join the CFL’s B.C. Lions. McKinlay, now a North Vancouver firefighter, joins the team in late October and helps them win the Grey Cup in November.