It’s a new year and the opportunity is here for a fresh new start. What would be on our New Year’s resolution/wish list?
• We would resolve to encourage BC Hydro to reverse their decision to buy out the property owners at Jordan River and allow them to decide if they wish to remain. BC Hydro should also buy out the CRD park and campground if they want it closed. The money could go towards purchasing a new park in the region.
• District of Sooke council should endeavor to reach consensus on issues before them and ensure they know all the facts before voting on an agenda item. That might mean more research and careful thought before decisions are made. Supporting and mentoring all members would bring about a cohesive council.
• The roundabout might need a sober second look. Is this really the best spot for it? Perhaps all that would be needed is a one-way back road through the back of Evergreen Centre, it would possibly alleviate the congestion on Sooke Road.
• Encourage more affordable housing in Sooke. Developers should be requested to put in 10 per cent affordable housing units and the district could sweeten the pot for anyone wanting to build rental housing units.
• Our wish would be to do away with food banks. To live in a society where everyone had enough to eat and no one would have to line up for food.
• Put more importance on agricultural land and the need to retain farm land for growing our own food. Encourage buying local and supporting area farmers.
• Think about a green town. With new developments we could promote the use of solar panel, water saving methods, efficient heating and become an example of what a small town can do.
If wishes were horses, beggars would ride….