Harry Leonard Read

August 11, 1926 – July 23, 2017

Harry leaves to mourn his daughters, Susan of Powell River, B.C. and Donna of Winnipeg, M.B., six grandchildren, five great grandchildren and one great-great grandchild, his sister, Gwen of Rivers, M.B. and many neices and nephews and great nieces & nephews. As well as many close friends.

He was predeceased by his son Johnny in 1951, his son Ron in 2015, his estranged wife, Evelyn in 2015, his dear friend Sharon in 2014, his granddaughter Shannon in 2016 and six of his brothers and sisters.

Harry was born in Ninette, Manitoba where he lived until he was 15 years old & moved to Winnipeg. He worked as a carman for the CNR for two years & quit to join the army for two years. He left the army to work for the CNR for 22 years. He also was in the militia and took leave every summer to teach cadets how to drive army trucks at various cadet camps in western Canada. He thoroughly enjoyed being in the military & worked his way up to 2nd lieutenant.

He was very involved in the Legion and held various positions on the board being president at several legions that he belonged to.

He married Evelyn Krohn from Carman, M.B. on Oct. 14, 1944 and they welcomed their baby girl, Susan on March 16, 1945, a daughter, Donna on Dec. 31, 1946, son, Ronnie was born on Jan. 25, 1947 and son, Johnny in Oct. of 1950.

Harry quit the CNR in 1968 and started working for B.C. Rail in Prince George for 10 years, Lillooet for a few years and Squamish until he retired in 1986. He started a locksmith buisness in sqauamish and worked at it while he was also working for B.C. Rail.

He moved to Armstrong where he met and lived with Sharon for a few years. When Sharon retired in 2000, they moved to Grand Forks. Unfortunately, Sharon became ill and moved to Hardyview where she lived until her passing three years ago. Harry visited her faithfully every day for many years. Harry started a new locksmith business in Grand Forks which he worked at for many years.

Harry was a shy guy who sometimes spoke without thinking which is a family trait and also had trouble saying no. Both of which sometimes got him into trouble.

Thank you to the doctors and the nurses and the staffs at Boundary Hospital and Boundarty Lodge for their kindness & caring. As per Harry’s wishes he was cremated and there will be no formal funeral.

Grand Forks Gazette

Your condolences will be approved within one business day. You will need a valid Facebook account. Please email us if you have any questions.