Nanaimo RCMP say the area near the bus loop at Woodgrove Centre has been closed off after a suspicious package was found. (GREG SAKAKI/News Bulletin)

Woodgrove bus loop re-opened after suspicious package incident

RCMP's explosives disposal unit attended Woodgrove Centre on Saturday evening

UPDATE: RCMP advised via social media that its explosive disposal unit determined that the suspicious package “did not pose any risk to the public.” The bus loop was re-opened.

PREVIOUSLY POSTED: Police have closed off part of a north Nanaimo mall on the Saturday before Christmas after a suspicious package was found this afternoon.

Const. Gary O’Brien, Nanaimo RCMP spokesman, said an area around the bus loop at the west side at Woodgrove Centre and the area is expected to be closed off until 6 p.m., as police await for a bomb squad to arrive.

The call came in at approximately 3 p.m., according to O’Brien.

“Out of an abundance of caution, that particular area, the adjacent area to the bus loop, has been cordoned off to foot and vehicle traffic,” said O’Brien. “Our RCMP explosive disposal unit is attending and expected to be on scene by about 6 p.m. and the interior of the mall has not been impacted in any way.”

The entrance by the Tim Hortons at the mall is also closed off because it is adjacent to the bus loop, said O’Brien.

Regional District of Nanaimo Transit could not be reached for comment.

More to come.


More from the News Bulletin on Facebook and Twitter

Nanaimo News Bulletin

Just Posted

Most Read