Fire crews were called late this afternoon (Thursday) to a daycare in Abbotsford after smoke was reported to be coming from the site.
The incident took place at about 4:45 p.m. at the New Leaf Childcare Centre at 33442 South Fraser Way.
Staff noticed smoke coming from the vents and everyone was safely evacuated from the facility and moved to the nearby Ronald Allan clothing store.
Crews arrived just as the fire alarms went off. Initial reports had indicated that “heavy smoke” was coming from the building and crews were called out from several halls. But when they arrived, it wasn’t as bad as initially believed.
Assistant fire chief Craig Bird of Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service (AFRS) said it was quickly determined that the source of the smoke was an air-handling unit that overheated on the roof. No damage was done to the building, and nobody was injured.
Bird commended staff for having a pre-fire plan in place and getting the kids out of the building so quickly.
“The kids all did everything according to that plan, and everybody’s safe,” he said.
AFRS gave the OK for staff and kids to return to the daycare, and the centre will be open tomorrow as usual.