Tuesday’s thunderstorm sparked several incidents around the region.
Lightning sparked two fires, one up Turtle Mountain which was doused by the rain, as well as a power pole on Old Kamloops Road. Another power pole fire was also sparked in Enderby by a damaged insulator.
The Old Kamloops Road power pole spark was witnessed by a nearby resident at approximately 6:45 p.m.
“It looked like a lightning strike hit the power pole and started the top of the pole on fire,” said BX-Swan Lake fire chief Bill Wacey of the Old Kamloops Road incident.
Flames burned down to the cross arms, which came down and landed on the transformer.
“It was pretty close to a couple houses there,” said Wacey.
Fire crews blocked the road for half an hour until BC Hydro arrived.
In Enderby, a motorist saw sparks coming from a pole on Highway 97A across from North Enderby Timber and called in the incident shortly before 9 p.m.
“One of the insulators cracked and started a fire,” said Enderby fire chief Kevin Alstad. “It was the top of the pole that caught fire.”
Fire crews were on scene for several hours directing traffic until Hydro fixed the situation.
Vernon firefighters were called to an unusual fire at the Forest Centre (14th Avenue) shortly before 9 p.m. Tuesday.
“Someone had left an incubator on in a lab,” said Captain Brent Bond. “There were pinecones in the unit and they started on fire.”
Hydro wires were also knocked down in Lavington just before 4 a.m. Thursday morning at the corner of Learmouth and Reid roads.
“It was a cottonwood tree that fell and took one of the lines down,” said Lavington fire chief Bruce Holmes.