Spark ignites fuel tank

Firefighters extinguish blaze quickly, mop-up time consuming

It didn't take firefighters long to extinguish the fire at a four-bay truck shop on Exeter Station Road in 100 Mile House on Aug. 22. However, mop-up took a while to ensure any hotspots in the ceiling were out completely.

It didn't take firefighters long to extinguish the fire at a four-bay truck shop on Exeter Station Road in 100 Mile House on Aug. 22. However, mop-up took a while to ensure any hotspots in the ceiling were out completely.

100 Mile House Fire-Rescue was called out to a structural fire on Exeter Station Road in 100 Mile House around 3:30 p.m. on Aug. 22.

Fire chief Roger Hollander notes that when they arrived, there was heavy smoke coming from the four-bay truck shop.

He says Fire-Rescue responded with 11 firefighters and four trucks.

The 108 Mile Ranch Volunteer Fire Department was called for backup and responded with seven firefighters and three trucks, Hollander adds.

“Our crews acted quickly and we were able to extinguish the fire in one of the bays where it started.”

Hollander notes the fire found its way into the trusses of the roof system, which runs above all of the bays.

“So we were able to get up into the trusses and put it out before it was able to catch hold of the entire roof and extinguish it.”

While the flames were doused fairly quickly, he says they were on scene for about three hours because they had to pull down ceilings in one bay and look for hotspots throughout the entire area.

“It does take time of mop up, or overhaul, as they call it. So, that took the majority of time.”

Hollander says the fire appears to have started in one of the bays from an occupant who was doing some welding on a utility trailer, which had a fuel tank still attached to it.

“He got a little too close to it while welding and it ignited the fire. So, it was just a case of welding too close to the fuel source.”

100 Mile House Free Press

Just Posted

Most Read