Firefighters respond to a fire call at the Alpenhorn on Main Street Thursday night. (Tom Best photo)

Firefighters respond to a fire call at the Alpenhorn on Main Street Thursday night. (Tom Best photo)

Smoked out at the Alpenhorn

A malfunction in a heating unit caused a stink at the Smithers restaurant, but it's back in business.

The Alpenhorn on Main Street had to be cleared out after firefighters responded to a call for a structure fire around 8:30 Thursday night. Luckily, it was more smoke than fire.

Smithers fire chief Kieth Stecko said it looks like there was a malfunction in a support unit of the HVAC system heating the building. That caused an acrid smell in the bar area that was blown out with fans.

Owner Sascha Hillebrand said that some insulation was melted, but they were back open for business Friday morning.

Smithers Interior News

Just Posted

Most Read