Small fire doused at seniors’ care home

Fire broke out in a resident’s room at Noric House on Mission Road Sunday just after 5 p.m.

A quick-acting employee kept a fire from getting out of control at a Vernon care home.

Fire broke out in a resident’s room at Noric House on Mission Road Sunday just after 5 p.m.

“Staff did a great job,” said Jack Blair, deputy fire chief, of the employee who grabbed an extinguisher and doused the blaze.

However, the employee was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation.

The fire started in a drawer with face cloths.

“It’s under investigation but it appears to be accidental,” said Blair.

Once on scene, firefighters ventilated the room to get rid of the smoke.

Blair admits that fires in seniors’ residences are a concern because many of the occupants have mobility issues.

“Fortunately, there are great staff at these facilities and smoke detectors in place.”

 

Vernon Morning Star