North Okanagan residents are being warned not to burn down buildings on their own.
In recent weeks, BX-Swan Lake firefighters have responded to two cases of individuals setting unwanted structures ablaze on their property.
“It’s all prohibited material,” said Bill Wacey, fire chief.
“The bylaw doesn’t allow for construction material to be to burned.”
One of the cases involved an old house on Silver Star Road two weeks ago, while a large chicken coop/barn went up in flames Saturday on Old Kamloops Road.
“Everyone saw this one,” said Wacey of the large plume of smoke emanating from the chicken coop.
It had been reported by a passerby as a structure fire, so BX-Swan Lake and Armstrong-Spallumcheen firefighters arrived on scene without knowing the particulars of the situation.
“Two departments responded so a lot of resources went into it,” said Wacey.
While the chicken coop fire was contained by the resident, Wacey says there is always a concern a blaze may get out of control and threaten other buildings.
The owner of the chicken coop received a verbal warning for his efforts, but the individual who set the old house on fire two weeks ago, was fined.
“He had propane bottles and mattresses inside,” said Wacey.