A massive fire at the Delair Court Apartments destroyed one of the buildings on the morning of Feb. 14. (John Morrow/Abbotsford News)

Salvation Army thanks residents for ‘incredible generosity’ to victims of apartment fire

16 palettes of items donated to those who lost homes in Delair Court Apartments

So many donations have been dropped off in support of the victims of the Delair Court Apartments fire that the Salvation Army no longer needs any more items.

Fundraising coordinator Kim Hissink said that the agency sent 16 pallets of items to New Life Church, which hosted pickup days for residents last week.

Hissink said the church will box and store the items for residents until they are ready to move into new accommodations.

She said the Salvation Army thanks donors for “their incredible generosity.”

Hissink said any Delair Court residents who need still specific items can post their request in the “Help for Delair Court” Facebook group.

RELATED: Abbotsford fire could mean up to 200 people without homes

RELATED: More than $200K raised for victims of Abbotsford apartment fire

People who still want to donate items can drop those off at the Salvation Army Thrift Store on Gladys Avenue, and they will be put out on the floor.

“The (Delair Court) residents are still welcome to come by and shop for free with the vouchers they have been given,” Hissink said.

Financial donations are still being accepted and can be made through the Centre of Hope at 604-852-9305 (ext. 0 or 138), in person at 34081 Gladys Ave. or by mail.

Several GoFundMe campaigns are also underway for individuals and families. They can be found by searching “Help the Victims of the Abbotsford Apartment Fire” at gofundme.com.

A massive fire took place at the apartment complex on Feb. 14, resulting in the residents of 57 units losing their homes.

A second building in the complex, which has 45 units, was also evacuated. The electrical service is expected to be restored to that building before March 5, after which residents will be permitted to move back in.

The cause of the blaze hasn’t been confirmed, but fire investigators are leaning towards smoking materials that weren’t properly discarded.

vhopes@abbynews.comLike us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Abbotsford News

Just Posted

Most Read