Residents at Vernon’s Hearthstone Manor were evacuated as a precaution due to a potential gas leak Thursday, July 2, 2020. (Brendan Shykora - Morning Star)

Residents evacuated at Vernon care facility due to potential gas leak

FortisBC and Vernon Fire Rescue Services are on scene at Hearthstone Manor

  • Jul. 2, 2020 12:00 a.m.

Residents were evacuated from a Vernon senior care facility due to concerns of a potential gas leak Thursday morning.

Vernon Fire Rescue Services (VFRS) responded to a report of a sulphurous smell at Hearthstone Manor on 40th Street, just before 10 a.m. July 2.

VFRS crews confirmed the smell upon arrival, and two firefighters conducted a sweep of the building, fully equipped with self-contained breathing apparatuses and gas detectors.

Prior to the arrival of fire crews, staff at Hearthstone moved residents outside to the rear of the building as a precautionary measure.

The firefighters checked all natural gas and fire appliances, but no readings were recorded on the detectors, according to City of Vernon communications manager Christy Poirier.

“Therefore firefighters determined there was no immediate risk to life or safety,” Poirier said.

FortisBC was also on scene and conducted a sweep of the facility with the same result. The scene has since been cleared.

READ MORE: Water floods Vernon skate park, playground

READ MORE: Heavy rain in Okanagan results in slowest start to fire season in four years


Brendan Shykora

Reporter, Vernon Morning Star

Email me at Brendan.Shykora@vernonmorningstar.com

Follow us: Facebook | Twitter

Vernon Morning Star

Just Posted

Most Read