Branch 15 of the Royal Canadian Legion in Abbotsford will host a Remembrance Day ceremony on Saturday, Nov. 11.
The ceremony will take place at the Cenotaph in Thunderbird Memorial Square off Veterans Way (behind city hall).
The parade commences at 10:30 a.m., leaving from Garden and Simon streets. Guests are asked to arrive at 10:15 a.m.
Members of the Royal Canadian Legion and the local youth cadet corps are among those who will participate in the ceremony, which includes a parade and laying of the wreaths.
Two minutes of silence are observed at 11 a.m.
Certain roads will be closed to vehicles due to the ceremony:
– Justice Way between George Ferguson Way and city hall from 9:30 to 11 a.m.;
– Cruickshank Street from Simon Avenue to George Ferguson Way from 9:30 to 11;
– Simon Avenue will have a single-lane closure between Trethewey and Cruickshank from 10:30 to 11;
– Trethewey Street from South Fraser Way to George Ferguson Way from 10:30 to 11; and
– Veterans Way from Trethewey to Thunderbird Memorial Square from 10:30 to 11.
Remembrance Day is observed on Nov. 11 to recall the end of the First World War in 1918. Hostilities formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.
Following the service, everyone is invited for some light refreshments at the Abbotsford Legion at 2513 West Railway St.