Police in the Elk Valley area are dealing with a significant increase in vehicle thefts since August 25. Only three vehicles have been recovered to date.
As of August 31, 2018, the following stolen vehicles have not been recovered:
- 2015 Jeep Cherokee, B.C. license FK594D was stolen from the Fernie area.
- 2017 Blue Dodge Caravan, B.C. license BC607B was stolen from the Fernie area.
- 2012 Green Dodge, F3500, B.C. license HG4466 was stolen from the Fernie area.
- 2011 Silver Kia Soul, Alberta license BFG 8703, was stolen from the Fernie area.
- On August 31, a 2008 white Ford F350 pick up/crew cab with black empty flat deck, and decals on the doors reading “Elk River Mountain Home”, B.C. license Plate KC 8622, was stolen from the Fernie area.
RCMP is requesting that if anyone is to locate one of these stolen vehicles, call 911 to report the location. Do not attempt to follow or apprehend any of these vehicles.
RCMP is also reminding residents in the Elk Valley to not keep not keep personal items, such as wallets, cell phones, money, etc., inside your vehicle.
“Leaving visible items is never a good idea,” said RCMP Constable Debra Katerenchuk.
“Please lock and secure your vehicle(s) and never leave vehicle keys inside your vehicle. A number of these stolen vehicles had their keys left inside the vehicles.”