If you’re waiting for a new public washroom in the 300-block of Penticton’s downtown you are going to have to hold on for another year.
Council was told Tuesday that it wouldn’t be possible to have the planned-for facility operational before the end of the market season, given the amount of lead time required to have the washrooms delivered and put it up.
“Based on our experience with the last one, it wouldn’t be possible,” said director of operations Mitch Moroziuk, adding that there also isn’t funding available. “The engineering department has reviewed its capital projects and determined that it does not have any surplus funds. The facilities department has done the same thing.”
Moroziuk said it is expected to cost $80,000 to build a new washroom, and another $4,000 each year to operate it. He recommended that city council defer the public washroom project to the 2019 budget process.
“It’s not great, but the Downtown Penticton Association is managing the markets with portables,” said Sentes. “The crowds are phenomenal, so the pressure on bathrooms is ever growing. I don’t see that this market is diminishing in popularity.”
Bregje Kozak, director of recreation and facilities, said the washroom is planned to mirror the design of the one built for the 200-block.
“We haven’t had too many issues there so far. It is concrete block construction, with stainless steel fixtures so it is a lot more protected than our other washrooms are,” said Kozak. “They are single stall washrooms, so that is a little bit different than some of our larger washroom facilities.”
Moroziuk said that if approval for the project was granted in January, the washrooms could possibly be operational in June.
Council’s vote was unanimous to defer the project to the 2019 budget.
Senior reporter, Penticton Western News