The Nanaimo school district will receive $418,723 from the B.C. government that will go toward demolition of the old Harewood school.
The money comes from the province’s capital delivery branch and is used to pay for capital projects. The amount was confirmed in a letter addressed to Graham Roberts, school district secretary-treasurer.
“When the board made the decision to move forward on it, it was also the board’s request to see if the [Ministry of Education] would support this project and to our good fortune, they have supported this project for us,” said Roberts Wednesday’s school board meeting.
The school was shuttered in 2004. John Blain, school superintendent, previously told the News Bulletin that the roof was caving in and there was leaking.
Bowerman Excavating Ltd. was selected to do the work, which includes demolition of school building foundations and playground equipment and provision of a new sanitary sewage connection from the property line and the gym, which will remain intact.
Annual facilities grant money was originally set aside for demolition work and it can be allocated for other district needs, said Roberts.
Steve Rae, school board chairman, said he would like to see staff compile a report with recommendations on how to best spend the savings.
No timeline was set for it and Rae said it would have to go before the school district business committee first.