A small blaze erupted at the Nelson Electric Tramway Society’s car barn yesterday afternoon, ultimately causing less than $500 damage.
The Nelson Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at approximately 3:15. The duty crew was en route to an elevator rescue at the time, so resources were divided to allow a response to both locations.
The first officer to arrive at the scene reported smoke in the building. Four additional members were dispatched from home and shortly after the fire was extinguished with an interior attack at the seat of the fire, which appears to have originated in an area below the floor.
Seven firefighters responded to the incident with two fire engines, one tender truck and two utility vehicles.
“Nelson Fire Rescue would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to never hesitate to call the fire department if you smell or see smoke. Early detection is the key to limiting fire damage,” reads the press release from assistant fire chief Michael Daloise.