Ambulance and fire crews responded to a report of a man suffering an injury while milking a snake at a residence on St. George Crescent on Wednesday, Dec. 6. (KARL YU/News Bulletin)

Nanaimo man bitten while milking snake, taken to hospital

Fire and B.C. Ambulance crews respond to incident on St. George Crescent on Wednesday

  • Dec. 7, 2017 12:00 a.m.

First responders were on scene at a Nanaimo apartment Wednesday afternoon after a man was bitten while milking a snake.

The incident occured about 3:45 p.m. in the 1000 block of St. George Cres.

According to Martin Drakeley, Nanaimo Fire Rescue assistant fire chief, the man was draining venom from the snake.

“The individual was milking a snake at the time and apparently, [it] bit his finger, or somehow the snake injected venom into his finger,” said Drakely. “He was feeling off, obviously, a little woozy and B.C. Ambulance transported him to [Nanaimo Regional General Hospital].”

It is not known if it was a snake bite or the fang scratching the skin, but there was a puncture and venom was injected, Drakeley said.

The status of the victim is not known, nor what type of snake it was.

signature

Just Posted

Most Read