A weekend of fires in the Columbia Shuswap Regional District got off to an early start Friday afternoon in Malakwa.
Firefighters were surprised to discover a report of a commercial structure fire in Malakwa was actually a large, unattended pile of burning tractor tires.
To save calling for mutual aid, the fire category was quickly de-escalated to a miscellaneous fire, which requires fewer resources, said CSRD fire services co-ordinator Kenn Mount.
The Malakwa Volunteer Fire Department responded to the call 3:17 p.m., and doused the noxious fire with foam within the hour.
The property owner was put on fire watch.
“The incident was reported to the RAPP (Report all Poachers and Polluters) line, and Ministry of the Environment will follow up,” said Mount. “It was a dangerous goods incident, which is pretty serious.”
A house fire and several grass fires followed in Electoral Area C South Shuswap over the weekend, prompting Mount to remind residents of the need to acquire a burn registration number from the Kamloops Fire Centre, advise the nearest firehall and make sure the regulations and requirements around burning are followed.
“My biggest question is, ‘do you really have to burn? Is it absolutely necessary?’” he asks, noting regional district landfills are hosting free days for organic waste.
“If you’re removing slash and you want to get rid of it – take it to the landfill instead of burning it.”
For information on regulations and burn registration, visit www.bcwildfire.ca.