Vernon RCMP have confirmed a fire in an apartment building on Okanagan Avenue Aug. 14 was the result of an explosion stemming from a marijuana extraction lab.
The fire, in the 3400 block of Okanagan Avenue, was contained to the apartment with extensive damage to the bathroom area.
Vernon RCMP spokesperson Gord Molendyk said the lab was set up in the apartment.
Two men involved – the occupants of the apartment – were severely burned. Both remain in Vancouver hospital burn units. The suspects are 22- and 21-years-old.
Molendyk said the explosion and fire is another example of the danger that exists when people attempt to extract the oils in an operation such as this.
“The individuals usually use various types of solvents that create vapours and can lead to serious explosions and fires,” he said.
“The added danger in this case is they were in an apartment building that had the potential to harm the many residents that lived there.”
The case remains under investigation and charges could be pending.