Local RCMP called to a multitude of motor-vehicle incidents

100 Mile House RCMP responded to 112 complaints and calls for service during the past week

Erratic driver

Around 7:53 p.m. on Aug. 18, 100 Mile House RCMP received information from Williams Lake RCMP of a fully loaded lumber truck, which was driving erratically crossing into the oncoming lane and shoulder area, heading toward 100 Mile House on Highway 97.

Police attended and the member saw the truck driving into the oncoming lane, as well as nearly losing the fully loaded trailer into the ditch after veering onto the shoulder area.

The truck was stopped near Lac la Hache where the driver admitted to texting on his cell phone. The male resident from Alberta was charged under the Motor Vehicle Act for e-mailing or texting while driving.

This incident is an example of the dangers of distracted driving while using electronic devices. This incident could have resulted in a serious collision given the drivers inability to maintain his lane of travel.

Police remind all motorists the use of electronic devices while operating a motor vehicle is an offence and carries a $167 fine under the Motor Vehicle Act.


Excessive speed

On Aug. 17, 100 Mile RCMP received a complaint of a vehicle speeding and passing unsafely while south-bound into 100 Mile House.

Police were able to set up radar for the suspect vehicle and it was clocked at 60 km/h over the posted speed limit through 100 Mile House. The vehicle was stopped and the driver, who was from Alaska, was issued a violation ticket for excessive speed and the vehicle was towed and impounded for seven days.


Failed breath sample

On Aug. 16, 100 Mile Traffic Services were first on scene after a complaint of a possible impaired driver having a collision at the 100 Mile Community Hall.

Upon arrival, investigators gathered evidence from witnesses, which led to the suspect driver. He displayed symptoms of liquor consumption.

An approved screening device was administered at the scene and the result was a fail, and he declined a second test.

He was issued a 90 day immediate roadside driving prohibition and his vehicle was towed and impounded for 30 days.

While at the scene, his behaviour and that of his female passenger deteriorated to the state where both were arrested and lodged in cells until sober.


Young lad lucky

On Aug. 14, 100 Mile RCMP responded to a complaint at Kokanee Bay Resort that a young boy had been run over by a vehicle.

Upon attendance, investigators determined the boy had been riding on the tailgate of his father’s vehicle without the driver’s knowledge. The young boy fell off the truck while the vehicle was being put in reverse and he was temporarily pinned under the truck.

The boy was assessed by ambulance at the scene. Fortunately, he only suffered a minor cut on his head.

The driver was co-operative with the investigation and charges are not being contemplated in this incident.


Driver change ploy failed

On Aug. 14, 100 Mile Traffic Services observed a known unlicensed driver operating a motor vehicle in downtown 100 Mile House.

When the officer turned to stop the vehicle, the male driver parked the vehicle and the passenger got into the driver’s seat. The male was approached and his identity was confirmed.

He was issued a violation ticket for driving without a licence and having open liquor in the vehicle. His vehicle was impounded and towed.




Drinking driver

On Aug. 14, 100 Mile Traffic Services received a complaint of a concrete truck being operated in an unsafe manner on Highway 97 near Lac la Hache.

The investigator was able to intercept the concrete truck but had to avoid being hit when the vehicle crossed over the centreline. After a kilometre, the vehicle finally pulled to the side of the road.

The male driver from the Quesnel area displayed symptoms of liquor consumption and an approved screening device was administered at the scene. He failed to provide an adequate sample and he was subsequently issued a 90 day Immediate Roadside Driving prohibition.

The concrete truck was towed and impounded for 30 days.


100 Mile House Free Press

Just Posted

Most Read