A freak fire caused considerable damage to an Okanagan Landing mobile home Thursday morning.
Vernon Fire Rescue Services were called to the Sandy Beach Trailer Park at 7:45 a.m. for a report of a fire inside one of the units.
“The owner had just woken up and turned the light switch on in the living room when the ceiling light overhead burst into flames,” said deputy fire chief Jack Blair.
“The fire quickly spread around the light fixture and ceiling.”
The owner called 911. He and two other occupants plus household pets and birds were able to safely escape the trailer.
“We had to pull down the ceiling to extinguish the blaze,” said Blair. “There was considerable fire damage in the living room.”
Emergency social services were called to help the occupants, who do have insurance. The occupants will be out of the trailer for a bit while the home is restored.