The Keremeos Volunteer Fire Department attended a chimney fire in the early hours of Friday morning. Photo is not of the actual chimney. (File photo)

The Keremeos Volunteer Fire Department attended a chimney fire in the early hours of Friday morning. Photo is not of the actual chimney. (File photo)

Keremeos fire dept. attends chimney fire

Keremeos fire chief reminding people to clean out chimneys and replace batteries in smoke alarms

  • Nov. 9, 2018 12:00 a.m.

Keremeos Volunteer Fire Department were called out to a chimney fire around 4 a.m. Friday morning.

Jordy Bosscha, fire chief for the department, said when they arrived the fire was already out.

“The homeowner managed to get it out by the time we got there,” he said. “But, it’s a great to time to remind people to clean out their chimney’s and to change your smoke alarm.”

Related: Time running out to buy Keremeos firefighter appreciation dinner tickets

Eleven firefighters attended the call at the single story home on Starvation Flats, along River Road across the Red Bridge. A crew got up on the roof and put specialized equipment down the chimney that has a nozzle and puts out a high pressure mist to ensure the fire was extinguished.

Bosscha said the fire department encourages people to call in when they experience a chimney fire.

“If you wait it might be too late,” he said. “We’d rather do that then go and have to work on a whole structure fire.”

To report a typo, email:editor@keremeosreview.com.


@TaraBowieBCeditor@keremeosreview.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Keremeos Review