A Kelowna couple is in need of some help, following a fire that irreparably damaged their home.
Kory and Renee Bradshaw’s mobile home caught fire Tuesday, while they were both in Toronto waiting for a lung transplant.
“Kory has Cystic Fibrosis, and been on Oxygen for 12 years and can no longer work,” reads a GoFundMe account for the family.
“Family helps them but this is too much for them.”
According to the fundraising site, Renee will have have to rent an apartment for $2,800 a month, as well as pay their mortgage for the home they just lost.
“While my neighbour and I drove up our driveway today, we watched in horror as their home burst into flames. I called 911 right away, however by time fire trucks arrived the fire was well on its way to razing their home,” reads a post by Beth Shey.
“While their home is insured, the emotional and other financial costs are mounting for this young couple. Please, every dollar help, don’t think that because you may only be able to give $5 that this won’t make a difference, it will make an enormous difference. The family is struggling every day, air fare, insurance deductable, and the huge rent and utilities the are having to pay in Toronto.”
At 5:23 p.m. Kelowna Fire Dispatch received a 911 call reporting a hedge and shed on fire. A second call reported a mobile home fully involved in fire in the 5000 block of Chute Lake Road.
“When Kelowna fire personnel arrived on scene they found a mobile home fully involved in fire,” reads a press release from Tim Shields, platoon captain of the Kelowna Fire Department.
“Winds were fanning the fire making it difficult to extinguish.”
In the end, the home was significantly damaged but some important personal effects were salvaged by fire personnel.
The fire will be investigated tomorrow.
The owners do have insurance but are out of town at this time.
Kelowna Fire Department responded 3 engines 1 Rescue Vehicle a command unit and a Safety truck along with 15 Personnel to the scene. There were no injuries.