1) So for once the weather forecasters got it right. They’ve been telling us all week to prepare for rain and here we are, Halloween night and it’s not very pleasant outside. But the kids don’t care so don’t let the weather dampen your enthusiasm all you parents! Grab an umbrella, a warm coat and have fun out trick-or-treating with the kids.
2) And speaking of trick-or-treating, RCMP and road safety volunteers will be out in force tonight making sure this Halloween is as safe as possible for the kids and drivers. On that same topic of keeping our kids safe, we posted a story online today about two upcoming screenings of a documentary in Kelowna on the troubling subject of youngsters turning into pornography addicts. Technology is also making the process more streamlined for people who want to become foster parents in a provincewide initiative unveiled by Children and Family Development Minister Stephanie Cadieux in Kelowna this morning.
3) Provincially, all you rockers from the ’70s and ’80s will remember Gene Simmons, the fire breathing bass player from KISS who has become a reality TV star in recent years, was joined by his family in making a donation of $100,000 to a gala fundraiser for two initiatives that advocate for child development and advocacy in Langley.
4) On the issue of national immigration, the Liberals announced today Canada won’t increase the number of new immigrants being welcomed to the country next year, but is laying the foundation for a bigger boost in levels in the coming years. Numbers tabled today in the House of Commons show Canada will bring in 300,000 new arrivals next year — the same number that was established this year on a temporary basis to accommodate an influx of Syrian refugees. Immigration Minister John McCallum says the 300,000 number will now become the foundational figure for future growth in immigration targets.
5) Oh we could do so much better, but trending on Facebook is what Kylie Jenner wore to a Halloween party on the weekend. Do we really care about that so much? Will the Kardashian marketing machine every run out of steam? Perhaps there is hope as when is the last time you heard about Paris Hilton?
Have a ghoulish Halloween and stay safe and dry.