Gas leak near Comox apartment building

Around 600 BC Hydro customers without power as excavator hits gas line

Comox Fire Department attend a gas leak on Comox Avenue Thursday morning which has shut down power to 600 customers.

Comox Fire Department attend a gas leak on Comox Avenue Thursday morning which has shut down power to 600 customers.

More than 600 people are without power Thursday morning after crews were forced to cut power following a gas leak near an apartment building in Comox.

Comox Fire Chief Gord Schreiner said an excavator dug up a gas line right beside the apartment building at 2187 Comox Ave (intersection of Manor Drive).

There are about eight units with occupants who are protected in place, he added, meaning the residents are allowed to stay in their apartments, but the Comox Fire Department has pressurized the building with fresh air to keep the gas from entering.

He noted hydro has also been cut in the area.

“It’s a significant leak – gas that services the whole building. It is a serious concern of ours, but we’re doing the right thing, right now.”

As of 11 a.m., Fortis was on scene locating the gas line.

Schreiner noted there is no concern to St. Joseph’s General Hospital nearby.

Comox Valley Record

Just Posted

Most Read