Just after 1 p.m. on Sunday afternoon firefighters were called to a burning shop and storage facility in New Hazelton.
While it is still unknown what the cause of the fire was the damage is estimated to be as much as half a million dollars as several people stored travel trailers, boats, campers and RV’s there in addition to it being a shop with thousands of dollars of tools.
The owner of the building also had his logging truck parked in the shop at the time and while firefighters did their best the shop and storage area were completely destroyed.
Due to the fact several of the items stored there had propane tanks and there were also diesel tanks, the fire department battled several small explosions and then spent a great deal of time trying to extinguish a large pile of spare tires. Smoke could be seen from surrounding communities and it is hoped that the many local Hazelton residents using the facility for storage had their vehicles insured.