Food and other necessities are pouring in for a couple who lost everything in a fire at Green Acres Mobile Home Park Friday morning.
“We are so thankful to everyone for everything,” said Jake Hilton, whose parents Jack and Carol Hilton have moved in with him after they escaped with only the clothes on their back when fire ripped through their home at about 9 a.m.
Hilton said the community response has been overwhelming for the family, who has received dinners, clothing and even replacement hockey gear after Jake’s son’s gear was lost in the blaze.
“My son didn’t even miss a beat. He had all new gear by the next day donated by Total Ice and KidSport. You just don’t forget these things — it tugs at your heart strings,” Jake said.
At the scene Friday morning, Jack said he was in bed when his wife Carol starting yelling for him.
“I couldn’t figure out what they were all screaming about so I got up and then all I could see was a wall of smoke.”
Hilton said there was barely a way to get out of the bedroom as the fire quickly spread so the couple escaped out the front window.
Hilton was devastated when he realized the fire would claim pictures of his grandsons playing hockey
Lynn Geier, a longtime friend and neighbour who called 9-1-1 when she saw the fire at about 9 a.m., comforted Hilton at the scene.
“I’m just sick about it. What a dreadful, dreadful loss for them,” said Geier.
Two neighbouring homes were also damaged as a result of the fire.
The blaze prompted a swift response from the Williams Lake Fire Department, BC Hydro and RCMP.