Fire victims did all the right things, says Langley City fire chief

A candle fire has displaced a family from their 50 Avenue home, but they are grateful for the actions of fire crews on March 1.

  • Mar. 5, 2013 1:00 p.m.
A family of six is grateful to Langley fire crews for quickly putting out a blaze at their City home on March 1. An unattended candle burned one bedroom but there is smoke damage throughout.

A family of six is grateful to Langley fire crews for quickly putting out a blaze at their City home on March 1. An unattended candle burned one bedroom but there is smoke damage throughout.

A family of six have been displaced from their Langley City home after a candle fire broke out in one of the bedrooms of the 50 Avenue residence on Friday.

Around 1:45 p.m., Tisha Carloss saw smoke coming from behind the door of her daughter’s bedroom. Her daughter wasn’t inside the bedroom but she had left a candle burning.

All three of her kids were home sick for the day and in various areas of the home.

“The kids did exactly what they are supposed to do in case of a fire,” said Carloss. The family kept the bedroom door closed, to contain the fire, and left the home. Carloss grabbed her cat and everyone went inside their van parked outside on the streert. She then called 911.

“The firefighters were amazing. They got there very fast and were so good with the kids,” said Carloss.

City firefighters gave her youngest two stuffed animals and ducked into the van to congratulate them on following proper fire safety.

Deputy fire chief Bob Scott said 20 firefighters and seven firefighting apparatus were used to knock the fire down quickly.

“Within minutes of arriving, the fire was out,” he said. He commends the family for doing everything they are supposed to do, including keeping the door closed. The home also had working smoke alarms which does save lives, Scott points out.

“The fire was contained to the one bedroom but there is smoke damage throughout the house,” said Scott.

There is at least $40,000 damage, he said.

They won’t be able to move back for a while. The Provincial Emergency Program put the family up in a hotel and provided a clothing vocher. They have house insurance but some family mementos were lost in the fire.

Scott advises that if anyone wants to use candles to burn them in a shallow dish of water so that it can extinguish. Carloss said her neighbours and friends have already been a huge support and is grateful to such an “amazing” fire department.

Langley Times