Grand Forks Fire/Rescue’s Dave Paulett hoses down a section of a wooden retaining wall which caught fire Monday, May 17. Photo: Laurie Tritschler

Fire starts in Grand Forks backyard after by oily rags left in sun

Flames put out before reaching home on 800-block of 72nd Avenue

  • May. 17, 2021 12:00 a.m.

Grand Forks Fire/Rescue is reminding the public to safely store oily rags after a backyard improvement project nearly torched a home on the 800-block of 72nd Avenue.

Dep. Fire Chief Rich Piché said no one was home when a wooden retaining wall caught fire behind the home at around 1:15 p.m., Monday, May 17. The fire broke out after rags laden with linseed oil self-ignited in the midday heat.

READ MORE: Grand Forks Fire/Rescue raises money to buy coffees for 200 frontline workers

READ MORE: City of Grand Forks, fire department deliver fee to Granby Road property for suspicious fires

The rags had been left at the foot of the wall by a resident who’d used the linseed oil to stain the wall. The wall stands around three metres from a wooden deck attached to the home.

“It would’ve taken just a few minutes of effort and this wouldn’t have happened,” the resident told The Gazette.

Piché said the fire was reported by a neighbour who smelled smoke coming from the home.

Fumes coming off oily rags and solvents are highly volatile. Piché, who extinguished the fire with the help of a neighbour, said homes and shops can and do burn down when the fumes ignite.

Oily rags are best stored in sealed metal tins, he said.


@ltritsch1laurie.tritschler@grandforksgazette.caLike us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

laurie.tritschler@boundarycreektimes.comLike us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Nelson Star