Kootenay Boundary Regional Fire Rescue was dispatched to a residential home in Genelle at around 5 a.m. today after receiving complaints of smoke.
Once on scene, fire fighters observed heavy smoke coming from venting in the roof.
“Soon after, it was confirmed that the attic space was completely engulfed in fire,” said Jason Milne, captain, Kootenay Boundary Regional Fire Rescue. “Extra resources were required to assist with fire suppression duties and providing water supply to this area of Genelle, where there are no fire hydrants.”
One member of the Kootenay Boundary Regional Fire Rescue was injured inside the structure from a ceiling collapse and was transported to Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital (KBRH) by BC Ambulance with a hand injury.
“The fire does not appear to be suspicious,” said Milne.