Investigators have determined that a fatal Dec. 9 house fire on Grade Crescent started in a living room wall. The cause of the blaze was a breakdown in wiring insulation. A 64-year-old woman died in the fire, which also killed two pets.

Investigators have determined that a fatal Dec. 9 house fire on Grade Crescent started in a living room wall. The cause of the blaze was a breakdown in wiring insulation. A 64-year-old woman died in the fire, which also killed two pets.

Faulty wiring sparked fatal Langley City house fire

Fire investigators say that a breakdown of wiring insulation caused the Dec. 8 blaze which killed a woman and two pets

  • Dec. 13, 2013 12:00 p.m.

The Dec. 8 fire that killed a 64-year-old woman in Langley City was caused by the breakdown of wiring insulation, investigators have determined.

Langley City Fire Rescue Service concluded its investigation into a house fire in the 20300 block of Grade Crescent, which claimed the woman’s life, in addition to killing a cat and a dog last Monday.

An investigator from Langley City Fire Rescue, working with an electrical safety officer from the BC Safety Authority, has determined the structural fire started inside a living room wall and was caused by wiring insulation breakdown.

“The fire was well involved and had spread into the attic space upon our arrival,” said Bob Scott, deputy fire chief, Langley City Fire Rescue Service.

“This is a tragic loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victim’s family during this difficult time.”

Although electrical fires can start without warning, signs of an electrical problem can include:

· Flickering lights: If the lights dim every time you turn on an appliance it means that the circuit is overloaded or has a loose connection.

· Sparks: If sparks appear when you insert or remove a plug, it could be a sign of loose connections.

· Warm electrical cord: If an electrical cord is warm to the touch, the cord is underrated or defective.

· Frequent blown fuses or broken circuits: A fuse that continues to blow or a circuit breaker that keeps tripping is an important warning sign of problems.

· Frequent bulb burnout: A light bulb that burns out frequently is a sign that the bulb is too high in wattage for the fixture.

“Any home can be at risk from an electrical fire – particularly this time of year,” said Scott.

“In any fire, early detection is critical to a quick escape. We’re reminding residents to ensure their smoke alarms are working properly and to test them at least twice per year.”

Langley Times