Emergency crews were called to the homeless camp on Gladys Avenue in Abbotsford just before noon today (Monday) for a medical emergency.
One person was in medical distress due to an apparent drug overdose, and a second person was also feeling the effects.
Both were taken to hospital for treatment.
Abbotsford Police, Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service and BC Ambulance were on the scene.
It’s not yet known if the incident is related to the use of fentanyl, which has caused a high number of overdoses, several fatal, in B.C. this summer.
The toxic highly potent sedative is most commonly cut into heroin or cocaine to create a stronger, quicker high than the typical version of the drugs.
Even trace amounts of fentanyl can have deadly effects.
The drug has shown up in Abbotsford on prior occasions, resulting in a rash of overdoses.
Most recently, a 27-year-old woman died after using heroin that she was unaware was laced with methylfentanyl – an especially potent form of fentanyl.