Dog to the rescue

Man's best friend alerts homeowner to fire in Coldstream

A dog helped save the day for a couple of Coldstream residents.

A fire was sparked between two homes in the 8800 block of Fitzmaurice Drive Wednesday around 6:30 p.m.

“It could have been far worse but the dog outside the house came to the door and started barking and scratching at the door, which he apparently never does,” said David Sturgeon, Coldstream fire chief.

The dogs owner came to the door wondering what was up with his pooch’s unusual behaviour and noticed the flames.

Thanks to the owner’s quick efforts actioning the fire with a hose, a major situation was averted.

“It was a lucky one,” said Sturgeon, as the fire was only about a foot from the neighbours.

The fire is believed to have started from a malfunction on a piece of BC Hydro equipment on a power pole.

With this incident and the current extreme fire danger rating, plus fire ban, residents are reminded to call 911 if yousee a fire within municipal boundaries as it is quicker than dialing *555 (which is for provincial wildfires).

Vernon Morning Star

Just Posted

Most Read