On Oct. 10, Greg Wiseman of Windy Mountain Backhoe installed nine concrete pads at the bottom of Deka’s Access #12, as part of a Deka Lake & District Ratepayers’ Association (DLDRA) project that has been planned for several years.
Left over from snow-shed roofs of the Coquihalla Highway construction, the concrete pads were donated by the Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure (MOTI). The boat launch is 12 feet wide and 48 feet long, with about half its length extending into the water.
Helpers included DLDRA’s Jane and Marty Mahovlich and Penny Millway, and Deka Lake & District Volunteer Fire Department (DLDVFD) firefighters Steve Colbert and Dan Wiebe.
Costs were shared between the Cariboo Regional District (CRD), DLDRA, DLDVFD, and DLDVFD Ladies Auxiliary.
A similar boat launch was installed at Access #8 the following week.
Residents expressed their deep gratitude to DLDRA, MOTI and the CRD.
Sadly, Dolores Miller passed away Oct. 15, aged 83.
A Higgins Lake resident for many decades, Dolores was on the board of both DLDRA and Mountain Spruce Community Centre Society for several years.
Deepest condolences are extended to her husband, Colin, and their family.
Fawn Lake’s Mike Bolivar is the guest artiste in Bridge Lake Library’s Community Showcase for November.
Originator of the local rock club and 15-year practitioner of lapidary, Mike will display full-size polished “eggs,” in addition to “pretty-looking” mineral samples, and “Apache tears.” The latter, black obsidian with no crystallization, rained down from a volcano.
Call the writer for contact numbers.
• Kids Space looking forward to showing off a haunted stall at Interlakes Rodeo Grounds on Halloween, Oct. 31.
• Free Haunted Halloween Stables at Interlakes Rodeo Grounds, 6-8:30 p.m., Oct. 31 – includes food, goodie bags, bonfire and fireworks.
• Deka food drive for Interlakes Christmas Giftboxes, Nov. 2. Firefighters will go door to door, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., or take your offerings to the fire hall.
• Highway 24/Interlakes Lions meet 6:30 p.m., Nov. 3 at Interlakes Hall.
• Log Cabin Quilters meet 9:30 a.m.-1.30 p.m., Nov. 5 at Interlakes Hall.