A house that was built more than a century ago was one of three to be recognized with a Township of Langley Heritage Register plaque.
The Matheson farmhouse in Willoughby is one of about half a dozen 19th century residences left in the entire Township.
Built in 1898 by John Matheson, the square two-storey wood frame building was originally located in the middle of 80 acres of farmland and orchard.
In 2003, it was moved 100 feet to Langley Meadows Community Park and the the Langley Meadows Community Association set about fundraising to pay for its restoration.
By late 2011, work on the exterior was almost finished.
That was when Wind and Tide Preschools Inc. got involved and funded interior renovations to use the building as a new home for their daycare and preschool programs.
The building was finished in time for the September 2012 school year.
At a Township council presentation on May 13, Mayor Jack Froese called the deal to convert the old house into a daycare “an excellent partnership” and presented a plaque to Cari Shorrock and Rachel Cram of Wind and Tide Preschools Inc. as well as Troy Wilson of the Langley Meadows Community Association.
At the same time, Leslie and Stuart MacDonald received a plaque for their restoration of Fort Langley’s Hogben home.
Mayor Froese praised the MacDonalds for “working diligently to remove alterations the house had incurred over the years and to maintain [their] home to a very high standard.”
The man who built the Hogben residence was unable to enjoy it.
Settler Edward Hogben died shortly after the Craftsman-style residence was completed in 1910.
The Hogben house was built on the former site of a Hudson’s Bay Company house that was destroyed by fire in 1909.
The third heritage award went to the owners of the Cummings residence in Murrayville, who received their plaque for restoring and repairing the 1913-era house following a blaze that destroyed several more recent additions to the structure along with the north side of the building.
A group of doctors planning a new clinic repaired and restored the building to its original appearance, using paint scrapings to determine the original paint colour for the house.
“This building is an important reminder of an earlier way of life in Langley and creating a medical clinic around this heritage home will enhance the Five Corners business community of historic Murrayville,” Froese said at the May 10 presentation to Doctors Angela Busletta, Erica Phelps, and Elaine Mah of BUMP Holdings.
The Township Community Heritage Register Plaque Program was created in 2010.