Pet and livestock owners are being advised by city officials that antifreeze has leaked into Sharon Ditch in Yarrow after a gas station fire Wednesday morning.
The affected area of the watercourse, which is located south of Yarrow Central Road, extends from Eckert Street on the east to just west of Stewart Road.
“Antifreeze is toxic to animals and so property owners on the Sharon Ditch watercourse are advised to keep their household pets indoors and ensure any livestock are kept away from the watercourse,” the City advisory says.
“Chilliwack City and BC Environment ministry staff are currently working to minimize the impact, and contain the migration of, the spilled substance.”
Updates are available on Chilliwack.com and on twitter.com/city_chilliwack and on facebook.com/Chilliwack