For the second day in a row, firefighters respond to an ammonia alarm at Shaw Centre on Monday afternoon, April 2. Like the day before, it turned out to be a false alarm. (Jim Elliot/Salmon Arm Observer)

For the second day in a row, firefighters respond to an ammonia alarm at Shaw Centre on Monday afternoon, April 2. Like the day before, it turned out to be a false alarm. (Jim Elliot/Salmon Arm Observer)

Ammonia alarm sounds at Shaw Centre – again

No gas discharged, alarm glitch caused by installation of new equipment

For the second time in as many days, the Salmon Arm Fire Department was summoned to the Shaw Centre by an ammonia alarm coming from the hockey arena.

Monday’s alarm came just before 3 p.m., while the alarm on Sunday, April 1 sounded shortly after 8 a.m.

Dale Berger, the operations manager for the Shuswap Recreation Society, said Sunday the alarm was the result of a glitch caused by the installation of new equipment. No ammonia was actually discharged.

Related: Sicamous arena treating for ammonia

Related: Shaw Centre’s systems guard against ammonia leaks

Berger said the detector mistakenly sensed ammonia in the air exceeding 300 parts per million, which triggered the alarm.

The Shaw Centre was closed to the public for the Easter weekend at the time of the alarm, so no one was evacuated.


@SalmonArmnewsroom@saobserver.netLike us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Salmon Arm Observer