The Town of Osoyoos has issued evacuation alerts for 23 properties along the lakeshore.
The majority of the alerts are for Spartan Drive in Osoyoos, with others on Cottonwood Drive, Crab Apple Court and Lakeshore Drive. The evacuation alert was issued due to “the threat of flooding within the Town of Osoyoos, because of the potential danger to life, health and property damage.”
“In the event that the situation deteriorates, residents will be given as much notice as possible via an advance evacuation alert, which may be followed by an evacuation order.”
Once evacuated, residents are asked to leave the evacuated area immediately and register at the reception centre, which will be identified if and when the orders are issued.
Once issued an evacuation alert, residents should:
- Locating all family members or co-workers and designate a Reception Centre outside the evacuation area, should an evacuation be called while separated.
- Gathering essential items such as medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers (i.e. insurance), immediate care needs for dependents and, if you choose, keepsakes (photographs, etc.). Have these items readily available for quick departure.
- Preparing to move any disabled persons and/or children.
- Moving pets and livestock to a safe area.
- Arranging to transport your household members or co-workers in the event of an evacuation order. If you need transportation assistance from the area please call 250-490-4225.
- Arranging accommodation for your family if possible. In the event of an evacuation, Reception Centres will be opened if required.