The horseshoe pits at Centennial Park are open – come throw a few.
Located next to the butterfly garden, the Flying Horseshoes Club meets Wednesdays from 1-2 p.m. and Saturdays 9-10 a.m. The friendly folks are happy to provide instruction for new players. A great game for all ages.
• There’s still room and time left to register for the following excursions: A Day at UBC, on July 30, where you will enjoy a guided tour of the amazing Beaty Biodiversity Natural History Museum.
After a delicious lunch you will visit the botanical gardens, and for the adventurous, take a stroll along the suspended walkways of the canopy walk.
On Aug. 10 we head to Robson Square to watch salsa performances and try some salsa dancing, while enjoying a variety of culinary delights from more 24 of Vancouver’s top food carts at the Food Cart Fest.
Travel to Anacortes, Wash. on Aug. 11 and spend five fun-filled hours aboard the M/V Mystic Sea watching for orca whales. The calm waters of the Saratoga Passage and the San Juan Islands provide the perfect backdrop for this educational and scenic cruise. At Theatre Under the Stars, Aug. 6, you will watch one of the funniest new musicals on stage in beautiful Stanley Park. Shrek The Musical brings the hilarious story of everyone’s favourite ogre to life on stage.
• You do not want to miss the July 25 Chinese brush-painting and ink-pouring workshop with Danny Chen.
Open to novices and experienced painters – step away from typical painting methods and create a semi-abstract lotus painting. No experience required. All supplies included. Class time is 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the White Rock Community Centre.
• Do you enjoy playing bridge? Come check out the many different kinds of bridge groups offered by White Rock Leisure Services. Duplicate bridge (unsanctioned) Wednesdays from 1-4 p.m. at Centennial Arena, welcomes all experienced players with a partner.
Fun bridge, Wednesdays from 1-3 p.m. at Kent Street, is good for those players who have recently learned the game and would like some practice. Contract bridge, Tuesdays from 1-3:30 p.m. at the White Rock Community Centre and Sundays from 1-4 p.m. at KSAC is for advanced players. Partner’s bridge, Fridays, 7-9:30 p.m. at Centennial Park Leisure Centre, welcomes all advanced level players. A White Rock Leisure Services annual membership is required to join. Please call 604-541-2231.
• Discover the joy of yoga in a safe and gentle way. Sign up now for the yoga for seniors course starting Tuesday, Aug. 5, 1:30 p.m. at the White Rock Community Centre.
Pre-registration required; 604-541-2199.
• Mindful Qigong: For Health and Vitality will improve health of body and mind with gentle healing movements which are easy to learn and enjoyable for all age groups.
This one evening class is held on Monday, Aug. 11, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Kent Street Activity Centre and is suitable for beginners. Call to register, 604-541-2199.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.