There are still some seats left on a variety of Kent Street Activity Centre summer excursions. Check out all the amazing trips available in the Seniors Excursion and Activity Guide available at all Recreation and Culture centres or on line at www.white rockcity.ca/register. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Stay Fit Pole Walking for adults 55+ is a new program where you will learn how to Nordic Walk in Centennial Park with a certified instructor to lead the way. Poles provided. If you are interested in drop in, please bring your own poles.
Individuals who are new to the pole walking technique should first sign up for two short lessons in the Urban Pole Walking program, then join Stay Fit Program.
For more information and to register, call 604-541-2199.
• Do you have the grandkids coming to stay for the summer? Kids spend most of the summer in their bathing suits so to ensure they have lots to wear when they come to visit, learn how to sew a tank suit or tankini in spandex on Monday, May 30, 6-9 p.m. at the Kent Street Activity Centre.
• Are you frustrated with your golf game? Why not sign up for some June golf lessons with PGA Pro Mark Kuhn and get the help you need.
Beginner and intermediate golfers are welcome. Clubs are provided for beginners. Various days and times available.
Please call 604-541-2199 to register.
• White Rock’s Pop-Up Arts Space has a new exhibition starting May 18. Pop-Up-Town: ĆIIKEN (meaning light) celebrates the art and culture of the Semiahmoo people and showcases work by several local artists. The Opening reception is on May 28 at 2 p.m.
For more information, visit www.whiterockcity.ca/pop-up
• Bridge game anyone? White Rock Recreation and Culture hosts numerous bridge groups at three Recreation Centres for all levels of play.
For dates, times and locations, pick up a copy of the Spring/Summer Recreation Guide or call 604-541-2231 for more information.
• Drop down to Kent Street Activity Centre tonight for the Wednesday night dance in the auditorium. Doors open at 7 p.m. and Quartette will be on stage from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Everyone 50+ is welcome.
• On a personal note, I would like to give a huge thank you to the community of White Rock for everything it has done to help the families that were affected by the massive apartment fire this week on Pacific Avenue.
On the day of the fire, when approximately 100 residents were being housed in an emergency reception centre at the arena and cared for by our amazing emergency social services team from Recreation and Culture, the outpouring of support from residents, local businesses, the faith and community organizations and service groups was extraordinary.
Donations of food, clothing, accommodation and more continue to come in and do not seem to be ending anytime soon. I feel very proud to both work and live in such a compassionate and caring community.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.