Personal Safety is the first in a series of morning safety workshops provided by White Rock Community Policing, co-sponsored with White Rock Leisure Services.
On Jan. 28, learn how to reduce your chances of becoming a victim at home, on the street, when traveling and in a vehicle.
On Feb. 17, a Fraud Awareness workshop will show you how to protect oneself from email, Internet, investment and identity frauds.
There is no fee to attend theses classes, held at the White Rock Community Centre, but pre-registration is required. Call 604-541-2199.
• Gentlemen, when was the last time you were able to touch your toes?
Are you looking to limber up those hips, legs and spine after years of neglect?
Come learn how yoga can help you out, in the Yoga for Stiff Guys course, starting Jan. 23 at 12:30 p.m. at the White Rock Community Centre.
To register, call 604-541-2199.
• If you like to draw, join the Peninsula Sketchers drop-in activity group.
Just bring a pencil and paper, and enjoy two hours of sketching in this informal setting.
All levels are welcome; a WRLS membership is required.
This group meets Friday afternoons at the White Rock Community Centre. For more information or to register, call 604-541-2199.
• There are a few seats available for the Jan. 21 Vancouver Gallery Tour.
Start your day with a private guided tour of the current exhibitions at the Vancouver Art Gallery. After lunch, receive another private tour of the Bill Reid Gallery and be awed by the monumental works of contemporary Northwest Coast Art.
Call 604-541-2199 to register for this excursion.
• Learn basic first aid and CPR skills for adults and children and receive a St. John Ambulance CPR ‘A’ certificate.
Workshop is on Saturday, Feb. 7, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m at the White Rock Community Centre.
Call 604.541.2199 to register. Space is limited.
• Pat Faulkner’s One-Pot Meals and Easy no-Rise Breads cooking class will be held on Saturday, Jan. 24 at 10 a.m. at the Kent Street Activity Centre.
Homemade soups are a treat and are both nutritious and delicious.
Learn how to prepare basic stocks and some of your favorite soups plus easy quick bread to complete your meal.
Call today to register, 604-541-2199.
• What is more romantic than a lovingly prepared dinner for your special somebody?
Discover how to create a wonderful dining experience for your valentine in this special Valentine Cooking class on Feb. 7 at the Kent Street Activity Centre.
Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Bridge game anyone?
White Rock Leisure Services hosts numerous bridge groups at three recreation centres for all levels of play.
For dates, times and locations, pick up a Winter Recreation Guide, or call 604-541-2231 for more information.
• Drop down to Kent Street Activity Centre on Jan. 14 for the Wednesday night dance in the auditorium.
Doors open at 7 p.m., and Good Vibration will be on stage from 7:30 to 10:30.
Everyone 50+ is welcome.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.