Are you looking to find interesting ways to stay busy this season? White Rock Recreation and Culture’s very first edition of the Spring/Summer Recreation Guide is available now to view online at www.whiterockcity.ca/register
Registration starts Friday, March 11 for members, and Thursday, March 17 for non-members.
Interested in becoming a member? Call 604-541-2199 for information about the benefits of becoming a member – benefits that include early registration and reduced prices on many programs and excursions.
• Are you a new member of the Kent Street Activity Centre or thinking of becoming one? You are invited to the New Members Social on Monday, March 21, from 2-3:30 p.m., to find out about all the exciting activities and programs offered.
Call 604-541-2231 to register for this free event.
• The fourth annual White Rock Irish Festival has returned to White Rock for the entire month of March.
The festival includes music, poetry, workshops, contests, dancing, food and beverage tasting and more. Look for event flyers and posters at all White Rock recreation centres, or check out www.whiterockcity.ca
• The White Rock Nordic Striders do not let rain nor wind hamper their Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning walks.
Experienced walkers who can cover five kilometres in one hour are welcome to join this dynamic group, which meets at various walking locations in the community, rain or shine.
Call 604-541-2199 for more information.
• On Friday, March 18 from 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Danny Chen will teach you how to paint mountains, valleys and ridges, rivers and waterfalls. This Chinese brush-painting workshop includes supplies. Beginner to advanced students are welcome. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Minds in Motion is a new community program for those with early-stage memory loss.
This fitness and social activity is designed for people diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, along with a friend, family member or caregiver.
The next session begins Monday, March 14 from 1:30-3:30 p.m. at the Kent Street Activity Centre, and will include light exercise conducted by a certified fitness instructor, followed by activities, games and social time in a relaxed atmosphere.
For more information, and to register, call 604-541-2199.
• One of the best-kept secrets in White Rock is the Kent Street Centre coffee shop. Drop in soon for delicious homemade cuisine, including delicious soup and sandwiches, fresh-baked goodies, and hot-lunch specials every Wednesday. The shop’s hours of operation are 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Monday to Friday.
• Good Vibrations will get you dancing tomorrow at the Kent Street Activity Centre’s Wednesday night social dance. Singles and couples 50+ are welcome; doors open at 7 p.m., with dancing 7:30-10:30 p.m.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.