Last call! It only happens once a year, so don’t miss the Kent Street Activity Centre’s Strawberry Tea this Saturday, June 6, at 2 p.m.
Advance tickets only, no drop-ins.
Call the centre at 604-541-2231 to reserve your ticket.
• Have you received your copy of the White Rock Summer Recreation Guide?
Guides are available for pick up at Kent Street, Centennial Arena and White Rock Community Centre, as well as White Rock Library, museum and city hall.
You can also view online at whiterockcity.ca
Call 604-541-2199 for registration, or if you need to set up a client number and family PIN for online access.
• Why not branch out into the arts?
Drawing, painting, photography and creative writing classes and workshops are starting soon.
Summer classes have fewer sessions, perfect for those busy folks who can’t commit to a full season.
• If wellness is your goal, there are opportunities ranging from group fitness to personal fitness guidance and planning.
Keep active through yoga, pilates, Zumba, osteofit, or balance class.
New this summer is Fitness on the Promenade. Meet with the certified fitness trainer on June 12 at Bayview Park; walk for cardio and learn strengthening exercises along the way.
This will set you up for your own summer routine of seaside walks.
• There are a lot of day trips planned for the summer in your own backyard.
On June 25, rediscover Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver, cross the harbour by SeaBus, then sit back and enjoy the scenery from the comfort of the West Coast Express train as it travels to Mission.
On July 8, enjoy a culinary adventure exploring food trucks in downtown Vancouver with chef Pat Faulkner.
• Wondering about the features of your new iPhone?
In the iPhone for Beginners class, you will learn how to change settings, check for emails, how to send and receive them, how to send and receive text messages and how to take photos and videos, install apps and how to update them.
The class is scheduled for Tuesday, June 9, and you must have a current Recreation and Culture membership to participate.
Call to register 604-541-2199.
• The White Rock Nordic Striders do not let rain or wind hamper their Monday/Wednesday/Friday morning walks.
Meeting at 10:15 a.m. at Centennial Park, experienced walkers who can cover five kilometres in one hour are welcome to join this intrepid group to carpool to various walk locations, rain or shine.
Call 604-541-2199 for more info.
If you prefer to stay closer to home at a slower pace, give Seniors Come Share a call at 604-531-9400 (local 203), as they are starting weekly walks around local parks for fresh air, light fitness and great company.
• If the water is calling to you, try out one of the recreational water-sports classes: Explore Canoeing, Intro to Sea Kayaking, and Stand Up Paddle Boarding.
Taught by certified instructors, all equipment is provided.
These non-competitive classes are perfect for people to discover another benefit to living by the sea.
Learn the fundamentals at a leisurely pace that allows you to get your feet wet.
Classes begin early June and continue throughout the summer.
• G7 will play at this week’s Kent Street Wednesday night dance, from 7:30-10:30 p.m.
Tickets at the door at 7 p.m.; refreshments served midway. Singles and couples 50+ welcome!
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.