There is nothing not to love about summer on the Semiahmoo Peninsula; lots of sun and fun for everyone.
Our summer camps and Neighbourhood Fun Nights got the best of the best, and now we’re looking forward to a very busy fall season.
• After a summer break, we welcome the return of our monthly community lunches, each with its own theme. They resume the second Wednesday of the month at noon in the Dining Hall. On Sept. 10, come and enjoy a delicious home-cooked meal, entertainment and fun activities.
To register, call our office at 604-535-0015.
Cost is $8 for members, $10 for non-members.
• The Parent Child Mother Goose program is a group experience for parents and their young children that focuses on the pleasure and power of using rhymes, songs and stories together, nurturing the bond that is growing between parent and child.
Our next session will run 10-11 a.m. on Wednesdays, from Sept. 24 to Oct. 29. Cost is $40.
Register online at www.alexhouse.net. Questions? Call 604-535-0015 ext. 229 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Join us for our first annual Oktoberfest, Saturday, Sept. 27, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Camp Alex.
This event is both a fundraiser and an opportunity for neighbours to relax, enjoy some games and entertainment, and – most of all – have fun.
There will be Bavarian-inspired food, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, some great contests – like sausage-eating and best dirndl or lederhosen – and music from an amazing lineup of performers.
Tickets are $25 and include a meal and a drink. Purchase at our office or online at www.alexhouse.net
• Alexandra Children’s Centre programs remained busy over the summer as we greeted new families and said goodbye to others. We provide Reggio-inspired care for infants, toddlers and pre-schoolers, as well as after-school care.
If you need quality childcare, call 604-535-0015, ext. 233.
• Looking for an opportunity to get out, meet new friends and see the sights? Our monthly out-trips, starting next month, are the answer. Our friendly volunteer, Dianne, and drivers Al and Kent, provide popular out-trips the last Monday of each month.
On Sept. 29, our first visit will be to the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden and Chinatown. To register or for more information, call 604-535-0015 or email email@example.com
• Lit Café is a popular bimonthly event showcasing authors from around our community and beyond, who read from their works and engage in lively discussions with the audience.
Our next event is Tuesday, Sept. 30, 7-9 p.m. with Changes and Chances: Poetry of Transition. The evening includes refreshments, a discussion with the authors and an open mic for aspiring authors.
For more information, call 604-535-0015 ext 236.
• Connect is a free attachment-based program for parents and caregivers who are trying to understand and respond to their teen’s challenging behaviour.
The next group starts Wednesday, Oct. 1, 6-7:15 p.m. For further information, contact Cindi at 604-538-5060, ext. 23 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Donni Klassen is a contributor for Alexandra Neighbourhood House. For information on programs/services at Camp Alexandra, call 604-535-0015 or go to www.alexhouse.net