• Hogwarts at Home: June 14, 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.; via Zoom; For ages 9-13; Hosted by the City of Delta. Accio! Your spell worked! Hogwarts is coming to you over Zoom. Get together with other Potter-heads to talk about the books, movies and what house you’re from as we work on spells (experiments) and art projects that connect us to the Wizarding World. Register at deltareg.ca. Also available on July 12 and Aug. 23.
• Out of the Box Art: Tuesdays, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; via Zoom; For ages 3-5; Hosted by the City of Delta. Let’s explore the endless possibilities of art by using items and materials we don’t normally think about when painting and crafting. This is a virtual art and science program with parent participation likely required at times. Register at deltareg.ca.
• Arts & Crafts: Tuesdays, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.; via Zoom; For ages 6-12; Hosted by the City of Delta. Each class we will work on two projects. Come explore with us and be prepared to use a variety of simple materials to create some pretty cool art. This month’s themes include “Bubble Wrap Dinosaur & Truffula Trees” (June 8), “Straw Blowing & Watercolour Techniques” (June 15) and “Father’s Day DIY Stamps & Word Art” (June 22). There are supplies you will need from home to complete these projects — see supply list in the “view details” section when you register at deltareg.ca. If you do not receive your Zoom invite an hour before class is scheduled to begin, please contact email@example.com to request it.
• Dance Sampler: Tuesdays, 4:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. (for ages 3-4) and 5:10 p.m. to 5:40 p.m. (for ages 5-6); via Zoom; Hosted by the City of Delta. Experience ballet, jazz, hip hop and more in one fun and lively 30-minute dance class from the comforts of your own home. It is recommended that parents are in the same room just in case they need to assist. Make sure that your dancer has ample room to move around. A zoom invite for class will be sent prior to class. One registration per household please — siblings can share invite. Register at deltareg.ca.
• Intro to Ballet & Jazz: Tuesdays, 5:45 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.; via Zoom; For ages 6-9; Hosted by the City of Delta. This class will be adapted to fit into your living room or bedroom. A minimum space of 5’x6′ will be needed. You will only need socks or ballet slippers to take part in this fun introduction to dance and the elements of formal ballet and jazz. One registration per household please — siblings can share invite. Register at deltareg.ca.
• Baby Daze: Wednesdays, 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.; via Zoom; Hosted by the City of Delta; New parents, join us for a free nurse-led program. Socialize your baby while receiving valuable information in an inclusive environment. Program will be initially offered virtually with the hopes of moving to face to face meetings in the future. This month’s topics include “Maternal Well-being” (June 9) and “Keeping Your Child Well” (June 16). Register at deltareg.ca.
• Mysterious Bats!: June 3, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.; via Zoom; Hosted by Fraser Valley Regional Library. Which animal can eat up to 1,200 mosquitoes an hour, fly at speeds of up to 90 km/h and find its food in total darkness? Join FVRL bat enthusiasts and Metro Vancouver Regional Parks staff to learn about the wonderful and mysterious world of bats. Discover the fascinating bat species that live locally and learn some simple ways we can help bats to endure the threats they face. Library staff will showcase the new Bat Packs — part of the FVRL Playground lending collection — and highlight some of the great books and resources available from the library. To register, visit fvrl.ca.
• A Look Inside the BC SPCA: June 4, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.; via Zoom; Hosted by Fraser Valley Regional Library. Join FVRL staff animal enthusiasts and a BC SPCA representative online to learn about the BC SPCA and how they protect and enhance the quality of life for domestic, farm and wild animals in BC. Take a sneak peek behind the scenes, hear stories about animals that have been rescued, and learn how you can help animals in your community. To register, visit fvrl.ca. Have you recently adopted a pet? FVRL has some great resources in our collection to help you become the best pet parent you can be! This program is suitable for adults and children ages 8+.
• Cribbage Tournament: June 7-12; Play in a week-long virtual tournament. Game match-ups are emailed each day, based on standings. A winner will be crowned at the end of the week. This is done over email and phone calls. Instructions will be provided on how to get set up to play (participants will need to download the Cribbage JD app; no Zoom required). Hosted by the City of Delta, part of Seniors Week 2021. Register at deltareg.ca.
• Coffee & a Chat — Delta Archives: June 7, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.; via Zoom. Come along on a virtual tour of the Delta Archives and storage vault, led by Kevin Hicks, discussing the different types of records researchers can find and how to access the archives. Look at archival photographs and compare the past with the present. Hosted by the City of Delta, part of Seniors Week 2021. Register at deltareg.ca.
• Trivia — 1960s Music Bingo: June 7, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.; via Zoom; Join us for Music Bingo! A bingo card will be sent to you and you can either print your card or open it on a second electronic device (not required). Hosted by the City of Delta, part of Seniors Week 2021. Register at deltareg.ca.
• From Picture to Painting: June 8, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.; via Zoom; Learn a fun technique to take your pictures and turn them into paintings. Supply lists will be provided prior to class start and will be items easily found at your local dollar or craft supply store. For best results, please print out a copy of your picture as you may ruin your original. Hosted by the City of Delta, part of Seniors Week 2021. Register at deltareg.ca.
• Beautiful Watercolour Flower Painting: June 9, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.; via Zoom; Paint two beautiful flowers — keep one and gift one! Supplies are minimal: watercolour paper (trimmed to 11″x11″), watercolour paints, paintbrushes, black oil pastel and painter’s tape. If you don’t have access to watercolour paper, email Lisa at firstname.lastname@example.org. Hosted by the City of Delta, part of Seniors Week 2021. Register at deltareg.ca.
• Revisiting Healthy Aging: June 9, 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.; via Zoom; Join Delta’s Seniors Support Co-ordinator, Eva Busich-Veloso, and explore the basic principles of staying active and healthy as you age. Hosted by the City of Delta, part of Seniors Week 2021. Register at deltareg.ca.
• Coffee & a Chat — Delta Police: June 10, 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.; via Zoom; Come join us for an informal session of Q&A with guest Const. Lee Chapman, DPD’s district liaison officer for Tsawwassen. Discussion topics can be chosen as a group. Make yourself a coffee (or tea) and enjoy the company of others. Hosted by the City of Delta, part of Seniors Week 2021. Register at deltareg.ca.
• Seniors’ Showcase: A Show & Tell Over Zoom: June 10, 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.; via Zoom; Hosted by Fraser Valley Regional Library. Join us for a good old fashioned show and tell session! Bring your mementos, crafts, recipes, or anything else you can think of, and tell us why it means so much to you. Five minutes per presentation. To register, visit fvrl.ca.
• Armchair Travel to Ireland: June 10, 2 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.; via Zoom; Take a virtual tour of Ireland with a guide to show you the treasures the Emerald Isle has to offer! Hosted by the City of Delta, part of Seniors Week 2021. Register at deltareg.ca.
• Power of Attorney Workshop: June 11, 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.; via Zoom; This workshop is presented by Seniors First BC and focuses on the importance of advance planning, forms of financial abuse through joint bank accounts, powers of attorney, and strategies to deal with financial abuse. Hosted by the City of Delta, part of Seniors Week 2021. Register at deltareg.ca.
• Rosy Readers: June 8, 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.; via Zoom; Hosted by Fraser Valley Regional Library. Building literacy skills, confidence, and friendships, with literacy-related games and activities for developmentally disabled adults. To register, visit fvrl.ca.
• An Afternoon of Tea and Books: June 8, 2 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.; via Zoom; Hosted by Fraser Valley Regional Library. Bring your books, bring your tea, and join us for an afternoon of discussing our favourite reads. Learn about what the library offers (databases, streaming services, etc.) and tell us what you’ve been reading lately. To register, visit fvrl.ca.
• Cookbook Club: June 3, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.; via Zoom; Hosted by Fraser Valley Regional Library. Calling all cooking enthusiasts! Do you love trying new recipes and sharing your cooking experiences, meal ideas, or culinary tips with others? Join us for Cookbook Club! Each month we will explore a culinary theme. For June we will be diving into a discussion of Italian food. Please come prepared to share your favourite Italian recipes, cookbooks, magazines, or websites with the group. To register, visit fvrl.ca.
• Art for Adults — Foggy Landscape: June 17, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.; via Zoom; Hosted by the City of Delta. These classes are for adults and are simple projects good for beginners. Take some time to relax and enjoy the simple process of creating your own personal work of art! Supply lists will be provided prior to class start and will be items easily found at your local dollar or craft supply store. Register at deltareg.ca. If you haven’t received your Zoom invite to class an hour prior to class beginning, email email@example.com.
• Knit & Stitch: Second Wednesday of the month, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.; via Zoom; Hosted by Fraser Valley Regional Library. Looking for inspiration for a new project, or want to show off your latest work in progress? Then join your fellow needle crafters for a fun afternoon of relaxing stitching and sharing of projects. All levels and types of needle crafting are welcome (crochet, cross-stitching, embroidery, felting, knitting, etc.). To register, visit fvrl.ca.
• Boundary Bay Quilters’ Guild: Third Tuesday of the month, 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.; via Zoom; The Boundary Bay Quilters Guild has moved their in-person meetings to Zoom. Our next meeting will be on Tuesday, June 15 and the guest speaker will be Patricia Beleya (Okan Arts) for “The Alluring World of Japanese Yukata Quilts,” an insider tour of the 2020 Tokyo Quilt Festival. If you are interested in attending, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604-948-0692.
• 2021 Community Banner Contest: On now through June 30; online; The City of Delta is proud to present a competition to create a street banner that will raise awareness of Delta’s natural beauty, culture, and heritage. Residents are invited to submit their designs (or photographs) and a volunteer panel made up of local artists and a member of Delta’s Heritage Advisory Commission will select four winners, one for each of the following categories: Delta Heritage (open category), Discover Delta (open category), Emerging Artist (ages 13 to 17 years) and Aspiring Artist (up to 12 years old). The winning design from each category will be displayed on street banners throughout Delta from January to May. For more information on submission guidelines, prizing and contest rules, visit letstalkdelta.ca/BannerContest.
• FVRL Streaming Services: Kanopy Movies & Documentaries: June 10, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.; via Zoom; Hosted by Fraser Valley Regional Library. Did you know that FVRL has free streaming services? With your library card, you can access great movies and documentaries through Kanopy! Join FVRL staff on Zoom to find out how the service works and to get answers to your troubleshooting questions. It’s time to try some new, free content from your library! To register, visit fvrl.ca.
• Ukulele Jam: Last Tuesday of the month, 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.; via Zoom; Hosted by Fraser Valley Regional Library. All “uked” up and no place to jam? All levels of experience are welcome at our fun and relaxed virtual ukulele circle. Open to adults 18+. Don’t yet have a ukulele? No problem. Head to fvrl.ca to place a hold on a ukulele and/or to register.
• Pop Culture Trivia — Marvel Edition: June 17, 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.; via Zoom; Hosted by the City of Delta. Get your competitive yet comfortable pants on and join us for a virtual pop culture trivia night. Each month will be a new theme so make sure to check back to find the night that you’ll take home the big win. Winners will receive the highly coveted “Certificate of Knowledge!” Suitable for ages 8-99. Register at deltareg.ca.
• The Canadian Federation of University Women — North Delta/Surrey Club: Our club is open to all women who support the mission and ideals of CFUW to address local, national, and international social justice issues. We advocate for appropriate social policy regarding women’s rights, equality, and education. Our club normally meets monthly from September to June for in person meetings but have now turned to ZOOM meetings. Our club was unable to hold our annual book sale for the past two years due to COVID-19. The money raised from these book sales fund our five bursaries for North Delta high schools. We turned to Purdys Chocolates fundraisers to fund our bursaries this year. We hope to be able to hold a book sale in the fall, if COVID restrictions are lifted. For more information about our club, contact Barb at 604-594-6145 or Eleanor at 604-589-3631.